본문 바로가기

Guggenheim Selects Director, First Woman to Lead the Museum Group

네덜란드 미술사 전문가...내년 6월 구겐하임 뉴욕과 베니스 관장 취임

guggenheim.jpg

구겐하임뮤지엄과 재단의 관장 겸 CEO에 마리에 웨스터만(Dr. Mariët Westermann, 61) 현 뉴욕대 아부다비의 부총장(Vice Chancellor)가 임명됐다. 웨스터만 신임 관장은 2024년 6월 1일부터 구겐하임 뉴욕과 베니스의 페기구겐하임 컬렉션을 운영하게 된다. 

마리엣 웨스터만 관장은 뉴욕의 4대 주류 미술관(메트, MoMA, 휘트니, 구겐하임) 중 유일한 여성 디렉터다. 구겐하임의 리처드 암스트롱은 지난해 여름 관장직을 은퇴했으며, 현재 구겐하임은 3인의 부관장 (나오미 벡위스 수석큐레이터, 사라 오스트리안 제너럴카운셀 겸 사무총장, 마시 위팅톤 CFO 겸 COO)가 공동으로 이끌고 있다. 

마리에 웨스터만은 윌리엄스대 졸업 후 NYU에서 미술학 석사와 박사 학위를 받았다. 네덜란드 미술 전문가로 “A Worldly Art: The Dutch Republic 1585—1718”와  “Rembrandt—Art and Ideas”를 출간했다. 

GUGGENHEIM

Welcome Dr. Mariët Westermann

Dear Guggenheim Supporters,

We are thrilled to announce that after an extensive search, Dr. Mariët Westermann has been appointed as Director and CEO of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum and Foundation, overseeing the Foundation, its flagship institution in New York, and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice, while providing collaborative leadership working with the directors of the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, and the future Guggenheim Abu Dhabi, starting June 1, 2024.

We cast a very wide net to identify the right person for the Guggenheim at this time. For the past six months we have utilized a systemic search process, using a values-based approach, where we identified those qualities necessary in our new director for them to succeed. We evaluated each candidate based on those attributes. She brings a unique set of qualities and experiences to this critical role—a wide ranging world view, experience in navigating multiple stakeholders and critical issues across geographies, all rooted in a deeply held belief in scholarship, excellence, and the power of arts and culture to inspire and connect. We are committed to broadening the scope of the collection and expanding our global initiatives, as we simultaneously engage a diverse audience, and care for the culture and development of the staff. I’ve known Dr. Westermann for over twenty-five years and very much look forward to working with her as we implement our strategic plan.

Dr. Westermann, currently Vice Chancellor of NYU Abu Dhabi, joins the Guggenheim with a proven track-record of successfully leading world-renowned organizations in higher education and philanthropy, dedicated to the arts and humanities. She brings deep knowledge of art history, museums, and research combined with expertise in institutional management, philanthropy, and international relations.

I want to personally thank you for your continued support of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation during this time. The Board and the Executive Team are committed to support a smooth transition to a new Director. I also want to thank our Search Committee, who undertook a rigorous and expansive process to identify the best candidate for our next phase of growth.

Please join me in welcoming Dr. Westermann to the Guggenheim.

Tom Hill

Board Chair

?