본문 바로가기

Art

조회 수 5604 댓글 0

SUYEON NA: And Then The Night Comes

나수연: 그리고 밤이 온다

SCHEHERAZADE

1.jpg

And Then The Night Comes. 그리고 밤이 온다, watercolor, gouache, fabric, sequin, collage on paper, 21x29" (54x73.5cm), 2015

2.jpg

Flow, watercolor, gouache, fabric, sequin, collage on paper, 36x 48"(91.5x122cm), 2015

4.jpg

Queen of Everyday, watercolor, gouache, fabric, sequin, collage on paper, 14x 10¼"(38x26cm), 2015

5.jpg

Bittersweet Dream, watercolor, gouache, fabric, printed paper, threads, collage on paper, 13½x19" (34x48cm), 2015

LIFE IS EVERYWHERE 

7.jpg

River Flows in You, watercolor, gouache, collage on Somerset paer, 18x15 1/4" (46x39cm), 2013

8.jpg

Life Is Elsewhere, watercolor, gouache on Somerset paper, 16x12" (40.5x30.5cm), 2013

9.jpg

Welcome!, acrylic on wood panel, Each 12x18", 2013

COUNTERPOINT 

11.jpg

Following Threads, watercolor, gouache on ivory watercolor paper, 24x18inch (60x45cm), 2012

12.jpg

Sunday Morning, watercolor on rice paper, 36x46" (91.5x117cm), 2009

13.jpg

Observer, watercolor, gouache, collage on rice paper, 12x16" (30.5x40.5cm), 2009, Private collection

CLOTHES OF MEMORIES

15.jpg

Clothes of Memories- Port Authority, Digital C-print, 2010

14 Clothes+of+Memories-Grand+Central+Terminal.jpg

Clothes of Memories- Grand Central Terminal, Digital C-print, 2011

16.jpg 

Clothes of Memories- Coney Island, Digital C-print, 2010

17.jpg

Clothes of Memories- Snow Day, Digital C-print, 2011

SUYEON NA

statement

I investigate psychology of the self, which revolves around the change of personal, social and cultural environments. I have traveled across different cities and created works since I moved to the U.S. in 2007. I weave a story of my observations and imagination on various spaces and people that I encounter, as well as my relationship with them, through multimedia. Problems of psychological and social adaptations are quietly represented within the narrative of my work. 

The transformative power of storytelling has been a long-held interest of mine since my childhood, which I spent drawing and writing storybooks. I visualize the images of dreams, nightmares, myths, and fantasies that are closely linked to subconscious and animalistic instincts of humans as a part of nature. Meanwhile, I  decode and examine the complicated relationships between culture, society and human nature, through visually multi-layered narratives.

Manipulating materials is my means to alter reality. I cut, print, draw, sew, paste and connect them. I employ various lightweight and easily transportable materials such as paper, watercolor, fabric and threads, which allow me to immediately start creating in any new environment. Complicated layers of meanings and narratives, which reflect the fluidity of the self and the complexity of the world around me, are embodied and conveyed through multiple layers of materials.  The repetitive process of drawing, painting, cutting and sewing is transformed into an inexplicable world filled with imagination and fragments of reality. http://www.suyeonna.com

SOLO EXHIBITION

SUYEON NA: Scheherazade

August 6th-27th, 2015

@Vitrina, 90 Stanton St. NY 10002

Opening Reception: August 6th (Thu), 6-9 pm

Group Exhibition

Archimedes’ Bathtub:  

a show of work by the New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA) 2014 Immigrant Artist Mentoring Program

curated by Julian A. Jimarez Howard

@Lorimoto Gallery, 16-23 Hancock St, Ridgewood, NY 11385

?