본문 바로가기

조회 수 1243 댓글 0

Dorothy Iannone: I Lift My Lamp Beside the Golden Door

March 2, 2018–March 2019

Next to the High Line at 22nd St.

high.jpg

New York, NY (February 23, 2018) — Presented Presented by Friends of the High Line, High Line Art is pleased to announce a new High Line Commission by Dorothy Iannone, a Berlin-based American artist whose works focus on eroticism and the female sexual experience. Inspired by Egyptian frescoes, Byzantine mosaics, and ancient fertility statues, Iannone depicts the act of lovemaking not as an act of taboo, but rather as an act of spiritual union and transcendence. While now commonly lauded as transgressive and radical, her work, which often portrays her love affair with the late artist Dieter Roth, has been subject to frequent censorship since the 1960s. Iannone and Roth began creating work side-by-side after Iannone moved to Europe in 1967, and the two artists influenced each other’s works greatly for almost a decade. Overlooked for much of her career, Iannone’s magnetic and highly influential work finally began to receive widespread recognition in the late 2000s.

For the High Line, Iannone creates a new large-scale mural installation at 22nd Street. Iannone’s mural features three colorful Statues of Liberty. Between them run the words “I Lift My Lamp Beside the Golden Door,” which is the final line from Emma Lazarus’s poem “The New Colossus,” the ode to the freedom promised by immigration to America engraved on a bronze plaque mounted inside the statue at Liberty Island. While Iannone’s piece was conceived before the recent months of upheaval in the United States around immigration, an already contested topic, these recent debates have raised the Statue of Liberty anew as a symbol of the openness of New York City and the United States to those seeking asylum, freedom, or simply a better life. Iannone’s vibrant Liberties bring a bit of joy to an often exhausting and demoralizing political debate.

“My first Statue of Liberty painting in 1976 presented a mighty woman with a torch who had, historically, in the feminine spirit of generosity and compassion, lifted her lamp before the golden door and offered welcome to the poor and tired of the world, yearning to breathe free,” says Iannone. “And now, some forty years later, Friends of the High Line has given me the privilege of enhancing an iconic public space. This time, my Liberties no longer stress their gender, because the times and our deepest needs have changed. Now, responding to the violence or indifference toward the pain of the others, and to the lack of recognition of their humanity, my Liberties cry.”

ABOUT THE ARTIST
Dorothy Iannone (b. 1933, Boston, Massachusetts) lives and works in Berlin, Germany. Recent solo exhibitions have been presented at venues including the Centre Culturel Suisse, Paris, France (2016); Migros Museum, Zurich, Switzerland (2014); Berlinische Galerie, Berlin, Germany (2014); Camden Arts Centre, London, England (2013); Palais de Tokyo, Paris, France (2013); the New Museum, New York City (2009); Kunsthalle Wien, Vienna, Austrai (2006); and The Wrong Gallery, Tate Modern, London, England (2005). Iannone’s work has been included in group exhibitions at institutions such as MAMCO, Geneva, Switzerland (2017); Museu de Arte de São Paulo (MASP), São Paulo, Brazil (2017); Hammer Museum, Los Angeles (2016); and Hamburger Bahnhof, Berlin, Germany (2015). Her work has been featured in major international exhibitions including the 2nd Athens Biennal, Athens, Greece (2009); Whitney Biennial, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York (2006); Berlin Biennial for Contemporary Art, Berlin, Germany (2005); Friends of Fluxus Exhibition, collateral event to the 48th Venice Biennale, Venice, Italy (1999); and Daniel Spoerri, Moulin des Jouissances, collateral event to the 37th Venice Biennale, Venice, Italy (1976).

ABOUT HIGH LINE ART
Presented by Friends of the High Line, High Line Art commissions and produces public art projects on and around the High Line. Founded in 2009, High Line Art presents a wide array of artwork including site-specific commissions, exhibitions, performances, video programs, and a series of billboard interventions. Curated by Cecilia Alemani, the Donald R. Mullen, Jr. Director & Chief Curator of High Line Art, and produced by Friends of the High Line, High Line Art invites artists to think of creative ways to engage with the uniqueness of the architecture, history, and design of the High Line and to foster a productive dialogue with the surrounding neighborhood and urban landscape.

For further information on High Line Art, please visit art.thehighline.org

Major support for High Line Art comes from Donald R. Mullen, Jr. and The Brown Foundation, Inc. of Houston. High Line Art is supported, in part, with public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the New York City Council and from the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.

Dorothy Iannone, I Lift My Lamp Beside the Golden Door is made possible, in part, by an in-kind donation from Colossal Media.

ABOUT FRIENDS OF THE HIGH LINE
Friends of the High Line raises nearly 100% of the High Line’s annual budget. Owned by the City of New York, the High Line is a public park maintained, operated, and programmed by Friends of the High Line, in partnership with the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation.

Image: Rendering of Dorothy Iannone, I Lift My Lamp Beside the Golden Door, 2018. Courtesy the artist, Air de Paris, and Friends of the High Line.