본문 바로가기

조회 수 1297 댓글 0
Kibeom Kwon
Ambiguous Place

August 17–27, 2017
@The Cluster Gallery, Brooklyn

20727942_374984009586792_2743520396123328502_n.jpg

The Cluster Gallery is pleased to announce "Ambiguous Place", a solo show by Kibeom Kwon. The exhibition will be on view from August 17 through August 27, 2017, with a public opening reception on Thursday, August 17, 7-9pm.

Ambiguous place is an experimental work representing scenes, spaces, and structures I experienced and remembered in the new form of photography. In this series, I present another way of representing underlying form through painterly expression and question, abandoning photographic specificity as record.

From the spring of 2010 to the fall of 2016 I visited New York City, Shanghai, London, Tokyo, Singapore, and other cities and documented intriguing colors, spaces, and architectural structures I found in those cities. These are creative images representing each city and replicas formed by modern Eastern and Western urban cultures. This project was executed through a process of selective gathering of such elements and my personal taste. In this process I explored my interest in the distinctive forms and impressive images of this age and posed questions concerning the most underlying form and import of all urban spaces.

As we often struggle over little things at the cost of larger objectives in our lives, I think that we may lose sight of the entire elemental form. As I tried to approach the true nature of form, shedding concrete images in balmuk (ink effects created by controlling the ink tonality and wetness of the brush), the blurred, ambiguous images I created were the results of my serious consideration of the true nature of elemental form representing the whole.