강정석 작가의 개인전 "게임 I, II"는 두산갤러리 뉴욕 내부 운영 문제로 
부득이하게 전시를 취소하게 되었습니다.

강정석 작가의 전시를 기다리고 응원해주신 많은 분들께 
양해와 사과 말씀 드립니다.

4.13 - 5.11
DOOSAN Gallery New York
Opening Reception: Thursday, April 13th, 6-8pm

doosan.jpg

DOOSAN Gallery New York is pleased to announce GAME I·II, a solo exhibition of Kang Jungsuck, the recipient of the 6th Doosan Artist Award, from April 13 to May 11, 2017. This exhibition combines his new project Game II and previous project Game I that was originally introduced as forms of video and installation at DOOSAN Gallery Seoul in 2016. Kang Jungsuck believes that games of the future have existed in the present and the past but have not come into reality due to technological limitations. Therefore, this exhibition takes a perspective of the present in exploring the reality of the future and multiple realities of the present at the same time.
GAME I is a (virtual) game created by a virtual game designing artificial intelligence (AI), BEGELINA, based on its user's metadata collected for one year. The exhibition shows recordings of the world that is constantly changing itself to adapt to the user, the 'inability sensation'* that is prevalent in the world, and the game character, propelled by the 'inability sensation,' that races through the virtual world. The narrative created by BENGELINA is delivered to the audience through narrations in the game and the player's guide, Walkthrough, distributed by Kang and covers video game timeline from 1980s to 2000s starting from the beginning of peripherals born out of the 'inability sensation' in monitors.
Game II is based on a joint research titled Mapping Virtual and Physical Reality (2016) by Qi Sun, Li-Yi Wei, and Qrie Kaufman and carries Kang's representative attempts to draw out end-user's surjective existence that occurs when the virtual world is mapped into the physical world. Through this project, he questions the ability of players in the game to independently make decisions and maintain cognitive awareness in the world in which virtual and present realities are mixed and thus lead to difficulties with detecting multiple realities.
Kang will be distributing 'MAGAZINE 2' and 'Game I' walkthrough booklet that starts from the beginning of game peripherals. A limited quantity of 'MAGAZINE 2' will be distributed only on the last day of the exhibition at free of charge.

*Inability sensation: Inability sensation, a term coined by Kang Jungsuck, refers to the sensation derived from cognitive discrepancy experienced by the user when digital and physical realities are connected

Kang Jungsuck (b. 1984) received his B.F.A. in Fine Arts from Korea National University of Arts. He has held solo exhibitions at DOOSAN Gallery Seoul (2016, Seoul, Korea), Insa Art Space (2014, Seoul, Korea) and Seoul Art Space Seogyo (2013, Seoul, Korea). He has also participated in group exhibitions at venues that include Ilmin Museum of Art (2015, Seoul, Korea), Nowhere (2015, Seoul, Korea), 800/40 (2015, Seoul, Korea), Trading Post (2014, Seoul, Korea), Audio Visual Pavilion (2014, Seoul, Korea), HITE Collection (2014, Seoul, Korea) and Art Space Pool (2013, Seoul, Korea). He curated and operated various events such as Exhibition Dungeons (multiple places, 2015), Goods 2015 (Sejong, 2015), After School McDonald~Mosquito and Cheese Burger~ (2016, Pia ★ After), and Video Relay TAANSAN (multiple places, 2012-2016), while serving as an editor of 'MAGAZINE', an independent game magazine.

두산갤러리 뉴욕에서는 2017년 4월 13일부터 5월 11일까지 제6회 두산연강예술상 수상작가 강정석의 개인전 《게임I·II (GAME I·II)》을 개최한다. 강정석은 이번 전시에서2016년 두산갤러리 서울에서 개최한 개인전의 <게임 I >에 신작인 <게임 II>를 더한 합본의 성격을 갖는 전시를 선보인다. 작가는 미래의 게임이 현재와 과거에 이미 존재하지만 아직은 충분히 기술적으로 뒷받침되지 못한 상태라고 생각한다. 그래서 현재의 다중적 리얼리티에 대해 이야기한다.

<게임 I (GAME I)>은 가상의 게임 디자이닝 인공지능(AI) BEGELINA가 사용자의 1년간 메타데이터를 활용해 만든 (가상의) 게임으로, 엔드 유저를 둘러싸고 유저 친화적으로 변화하는 세계와 그 속에 만연한 불능감*, 그 불능감을 트랙 삼아 질주하는 유저의 게임 플레이를 녹화한 게임 방송을 보여주었다. BEGELINA가 만든 내러티브는 게임 속 내레이션과 작가가 배포하는 특별공략을 통해 관객에게 전달되고, 모니터 속 불능감에서 탄생한 주변기기의 역사를 시작으로, 80년대에서 00년대에 이르는 비디오 게임의 역사를 다루고 있다.

<게임 II (GAME II)>는 Qi Sun, Li-Yi Wei, Arie Kaufman이 2016년에 발표한 공동연구 『가상과 물질적 리얼리티의 맵핑 (Mapping Virtual and Physical Reality)』을 바탕으로 한 신작으로, 가상의 세계를 현실과 맵핑하려 할 때에 벌어지는 주체의 분열이 낳는 전사함수(全射函數, Surjective function, Surjection)적 존재에 대한 작가의 재현적 시도를 담았다. 강정석은 작품을 통해 가상과 현실이 혼재된 조건 속 다중적 리얼리티를 인식하기가 어려워진 지금의 'GAME' 속 플레이어들에게 주체적인 판단과 인식의 가능성에 대한 의문을 제기한다.

강정석은 이번 전시에서 게임 주변기기의 역사로부터 출발하는 'GAME I' 특별공략 및 MAGAZINE 2'를 배포한다. 'MAGAZINE 2'의 배포는 전시 마지막 날 당일에만 이루어지며 한정 수량이 무료로 제공된다.

*불능감(不能感): 불능감은 작가가 고안한 고유명칭으로, 디지털과 물리적 현실이 연결될 때에 유저에게 전달되는 인지적 차이에서 오는 감각을 말한다.

강정석(b. 1984)은 한국예술종합학교 조형예술과를 졸업하였다. 두산갤러리 서울(2016, 서울, 한국), 인사미술공간(2014, 서울, 한국), 서교예술실험센터(2013, 서울, 한국)에서 개인전을 개최하였다. 일민미술관(2015, 서울, 한국), 지금여기(2015, 서울, 한국), 800/40(2015, 서울, 한국), 교역소(2014, 서울, 한국), 시청각(2014, 서울, 한국), 하이트컬렉션(2014, 서울, 한국), 아트 스페이스 풀(2013, 서울, 한국) 외 다수의 그룹전에 참여하였고, 전시 던전(다수의 공간, 2015), 굿-즈(세종, 2015), 방과후 맥도날드~모기와 치즈버거~(2016, 피아★방과후), 비디오 릴레이 탄산(다수의 공간, 2012~2016) 등의 행사를 기획 운영하였으며, 독립게임잡지 'MAGAZINE'의 편집자로 활동하고 있다.