NYO2 MAKES CARNEGIE HALL DEBUT IN SUMMER 2017
WITH SPECIAL GUEST ESPERANZA SPALDING 

78 Outstanding Young Musicians Ages 14–17 from Across the United States
Selected for Intensive Three-Week Summer Program

Side-by-Side Performances in Philadelphia and New York City with
Members of The Philadelphia Orchestra and Conductor Giancarlo Guerrero

NYO2—an Extension of Carnegie Hall’s National Youth Orchestra of the USA—
Aims to Bring Greater Diversity to the Classical Music Field 

NYO2Carnegie Hall today announced the names of the 78 young musicians selected from across the country for the second season of NYO2, a three-week, intensive summer program for outstanding American instrumentalists ages 14–17. Launched in summer 2016 as an extension of Carnegie Hall’s acclaimed National Youth Orchestra of the United States of America (NYO-USA), NYO2 aims to expand the pool of young musicians across the country equipped with the tools to succeed at the highest level, with a particular focus on attracting talented students from communities underserved by and underrepresented in the classical orchestral field. Both NYO-USA and NYO2 are free to all participants and offer the promising, young musicians the unique opportunity to play alongside talented peers, learn from a world-class faculty, and perform with special guest artists on the stages of some of the world’s most prestigious concert halls.

The members of the 2017 NYO2 orchestra—hailing from 24 US states as well as Puerto Rico—have been recognized by Carnegie Hall as exceptionally talented musicians who would benefit from focused training and participation in an inspiring community of their peers in order to take their playing to the next level. Twenty-five musicians will be returning from last summer’s inaugural season, and 10 members of NYO2 2016 will be taking part in NYO-USA this summer. See below or click here for the names, instruments, and hometowns of the members of NYO2 2017. The previously-announced NYO-USA roster is also available here

Following an intensive residency at Purchase College, State University of New York (SUNY) in conjunction with NYO-USA, the musicians of NYO2 will make their Carnegie Hall debut on Thursday, July 20 at 7:30 p.m. with conductor Giancarlo Guerrero, who will be returning to lead the orchestra for the second straight season. The program will include Copland’s Billy the Kid Suite, Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite (1919 version) in a side-by-side performance with members of The Philadelphia Orchestra, and a set with special guest vocalist and bassist Esperanza Spalding. The orchestra will also perform in Philadelphia’s Verizon Hall two days prior, on Tuesday, July 18 at 7:00 p.m., in a concert that will feature Falla’s “The Three-Cornered Hat” Suite No. 2, performed by The Philadelphia Orchestra, in addition to the pieces listed above. Over the course of three days in Philadelphia, the NYO2 members will also have opportunities to interact with local young musicians.

As part of their residency, beginning July 1 at Purchase College, NYO2 musicians will work closely with select members of The Philadelphia Orchestra, an organization with its own deep commitment to education and artist training, thanks to a partnership between Carnegie Hall and the orchestra. NYO2 participants will also have side-by-side opportunities with members of NYO-USA, who will be in residency at Purchase College during the same period. Faculty members from NYO-USA, made up of principal players from some of the country’s finest professional orchestras, will also work with NYO2 students. In addition to orchestral rehearsals led by conductor Giancarlo Guerrero, the faculty will lead private lessons, master classes, chamber music readings, and other seminars on essential music skills. Additional workshops will explore the many different opportunities available to musicians beyond the concert stage, focusing on entrepreneurship skills and communications strategies and challenging NYO-USA and NYO2 members to design specific projects they can lead in their own communities.

npPICT0862.jpg Esperanza Spalding

“We are thrilled to build on the success of NYO2’s inaugural season, and present these extraordinary young players on the Carnegie Hall stage for the very first time” said Clive Gillinson, Carnegie Hall’s Executive and Artistic Director. “The opportunity to work with members of The Philadelphia Orchestra, Giancarlo Guerrero, and Esperanza Spalding will be life-changing for these students, and we hope they will return home to their communities inspired to further develop their musicianship and use music to connect with audiences and people everywhere.”

“We welcome the opportunity to once again partner with Carnegie Hall and work with the gifted young musicians of NYO2,” added Philadelphia Orchestra President and CEO Allison Vulgamore. “Last summer saw them bring exciting training opportunities to young Philadelphia musicians, as well as a terrific free concert opportunity for our community, performing side-by-side with our own Philadelphia Orchestra members. We are delighted to bring them back to the City of Brotherly Love.”

Tickets for the Carnegie Hall performance, priced at $20–$50, are on sale now at the Carnegie Hall Box Office (57th Street and Seventh Avenue), by calling CarnegieCharge at 212-247-7800, or at carnegiehall.org. NYO2’s concert in Philadelphia is free and open to the public, with reservations available in mid-June. 

NYO2
2017 Orchestra Roster

* Returning NYO2 member

Alabama 
K’Mya Burrell, Clarinet(Birmingham)

Alaska 
Jose A. Abdelnoor, Violin(Eagle River)

Arizona 
Griffin Bourdon, Horn(Mesa)
Cruise Myers, Bass(Gilbert)
조나단 박 Jonathan Pak, Cello(Phoenix)
Gracie Potter, Trombone(Surprise)

California 
Khoi Dinh, Flute(Los Angeles)
John A. Gonzalez, Bassoon(Los Angeles)*
David Green, Trumpet(Santa Rosa)*
에드워드 정 Edward Jung, Violin    (San Jose)
권신호 Shinwho Kwun, Viola(San Ramon)
스카일라 리 Skylar I. Lee, Bass(Los Angeles)
Sean Loveland, Violin(Los Angeles)*
Javier Morales Martinez, Clarinet(Los Angeles)*
Scott Quirk, Flute(Simi Valley)
유진 리 Eugene Rhee, Viola(Irvine)
Edwina Xiong, Viola(Diamond Bar)*
Katherine Zhu, Violin(San Diego)*

Florida 
Benjamin Bush, Cello(West Park)
Anabel Carvajal, Violin(Miami)
Andy Caveda, Violin(Miami)
Luis Cortez, Trombone(Weston)
Julian Gonzalez, Bassoon(Miami)
Ethan S. Olaguibel, Bass(Miami)*
Shane Savage, Bass(Port Saint Lucie)
Solanch Sosa, Violin(Miami)
Jiddu Vega, Violin(Miami)*

Georgia 
Josie Campbell, Cello(Kennesaw)
줄리아 수 Julia Su, Violin(Marietta)
Rebekah Willard, Violin(Albany)

Hawaii 
주 김 Jou Kim, Violin(Honolulu)*
Yudai Leonzon, Violin(Ewa Beach)

Illinois 
Ernesto Banuelos, Cello(East Dundee)
Sean Edwards, Timpani/Percussion(Chicago)*
Avi Gotskind, Timpani/Percussion(Chicago)
Melanie Moran, Violin(Chicago)
Bella Villasenor, Timpani/Percussion(Chicago)

Kansas 
Bethlehem Kelley, Violin(Lenexa)

Kentucky  
Nicholas Recktenwald, Trumpet(Louisville)*

Maryland 
Griffin Cutaiar, Bass Trombone(Ellicott City)
Asha Kline, Bassoon(Ellicott City)
Kara Poling, Oboe(Reisterstown)*
David Stephens, Viola(Ellicott City)
Gabrielle Stanback, Violin(Fort Washington)

Michigan 
Amelia Aboulijoud, Viola(Detroit)

Minnesota 
Shreya Narayan, Flute(Cottage Grove)

New Jersey 
Antonis Christou, Bass(Moorestown)
Parker Jones, Horn(Bergenfield)*
에일린 리 Eilene Lee, Violin(Leonia)
Gregory Llewellyn, Cello(Englewood)*
발레리 문 Valerie Mun, Violin(Old Tappan)*

New York 
Che Buford, Violin(Brooklyn)*
Joshua Cai, Viola(Mount Sinai)*
Catherine Deskur, Bass(Vestal)
Epongue Ekille, Violin(Rochester)*
알렉산드라 홍 Alexandra Hong, Viola(Manhasset)
Daniel J. Simmons, Viola(Laurelton)

North Dakota 
Kari Jenks, Oboe(Minot)

Pennsylvania 
Peirce Ellis, Viola(Philadelphia)
티모시 김 Timothy Kim, Clarinet(Plymouth Meeting)

Puerto Rico 
Rafniel E. Rios Babilonia, Trumpet(Aguada)*
Javier F. Torres Delgado, Violin(San Juan)*

South Dakota 
Maximus Gurath, Cello(Sioux Falls)

Tennessee 
Miles Goosby, Cello(Bartlett)*
Allen Liu, Violin(Chattanooga)*

Texas 
Aidan Alcocer, Horn(San Antonio)
Richard Huang, Oboe(Frisco)*
Jacqueline Jia, Violin(Plano)
Nikita Jindal, Timpani/Percussion(Plano)
한나 김 Hannah Kim, Violin(Katy)
Gabriel Ortiz, Trumpet(San Marcos)
Adolfo Pena, Horn(Brownsville)

Vermont 
Thomas Bergeron, Horn(Essex Jct.)

Virginia 
Imani Edwards, Violin(Fairfax)*
Diego Stine, Tuba(Tyson’s Corner)

Washington 
Benjamin Albertson, Harp(Olympia)*
Ivy Robison, Cello(Seattle)

Wyoming 
Devery McIntosh, Viola(Laramie)

About NYO2
Created by Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute in summer 2016, NYO2 brings together outstanding young American instrumentalists ages 14–17 for a summer orchestral training program with a particular focus on attracting talented students from groups underserved by and underrepresented in the classical orchestral field. Running in conjunction with NYO-USA’s annual summer residency at Purchase College, SUNY, NYO2 offers an opportunity for participants to play alongside exceptionally talented peers and learn from a world-class faculty. The program aims to expand the pool of young musicians across the country equipped with the tools to succeed at the highest level, particularly those who will bring greater diversity to classical orchestral music and/or those who have not had access to highly selective training opportunities through major youth orchestra programs, summer festivals and camps, or similar experiences outside of their local community.

The inaugural season of NYO2 culminated in a free side-by-side concert with The Philadelphia Orchestra at Verizon Hall led by conductor Giancarlo Guerrero, as well as a performance at the 23rd Street Armory that featured NYO2, NYO-USA, members of The Philadelphia Orchestra, as well as local instrumentalists from Philadelphia-area youth orchestras, for a total of nearly 350 musicians.

To learn more about NYO2, visit carnegiehall.org/nyo2.

About The Philadelphia Orchestra
The Philadelphia Orchestra is one of the preeminent orchestras in the world, renowned for its distinctive sound, desired for its keen ability to capture the hearts and imaginations of audiences, and admired for a legacy of imagination and innovation on and off the concert stage. Music Director Yannick Nézet-Séguin’s highly collaborative style, deeply-rooted musical curiosity, and boundless enthusiasm, paired with a fresh approach to orchestral programming, have been heralded by critics and audiences alike since his inaugural season in 2012. The Orchestra is transforming its rich tradition of achievement, sustaining the highest level of artistic quality, but also challenging—and exceeding—that level by creating powerful musical experiences for audiences at home and around the world. The Philadelphia Orchestra has a decades-long tradition of presenting learning and community engagement opportunities for listeners of all ages across the Delaware Valley. Current initiatives that take musicians off the traditional concert stage and into the community include the highly-successful PopUP Concerts and PlayINs, SingINs, and ConductINs.

For more information, visit philorch.org.

Leadership support for NYO2 is provided by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Founder Patron: Beatrice Santo Domingo.

With additional funding provided by: Ernst & Young LLP

What past participants have said about NYO2:

“It was definitely the biggest musical experience of my life. Going back to Chicago, I hope that I can inspire my friends at my music school and in my orchestra to enjoy music in the same way that I do now.” – Steven Baloue, Viola (Chicago, IL)

“I feel that this is a place where I can really open up as a musician.” – Ethan S. Olaguibel, Bass (Miami, FL)

“This experience allowed me to analyze not only my level of skill, but to look forward at the potential that lies ahead.” – Matthew Garcia, Viola (Harlingen, TX)

“NYO2 was definitely a life-changing experience—I’ve never done anything like this before. I’ve never been away from home for two weeks with other musicians who love doing the same thing that I do.” – Andrea Velasquez, Flute (Kingwood, TX)

“NYO2 has taught me what the classical world is really like—it’s accepting, it’s growing, and it’s filled with amazing people.” – Ella Bondar, Cello (Chicago, IL)