본문 바로가기

do1.jpg

할리우드 무성영화 '최후의 안전(Safety Last!, 1923)' by Harold Lloyd

세시에서 다섯시 사이

도종환

산벚나무 잎 한쪽이 고추잠자리보다 더빨갛게 물들고있다 지금 우주의 계절은 가을을 지나가고 있고, 내 인생의 시간은 오후 세시에서 다섯시 사이에 와 있다 내 생의 열두시에서 한시 사이는 치열하였으나 그 뒤편은 벌레 먹은 자국이 많았다

이미 나는 중심의 시간에서 멀어져있지만 어두워지기 전까지 아직 몇시간이 남아있다는 것이 고맙고, 해가 다 저물기 전 구름을 물들이는 찬란한 노을과 황혼을 한번은 허락하시리라는 생각만으로도 기쁘다

머지않아 겨울이 올 것이다 그때는 지구 북쪽끝의 얼음이 녹아 가까운 바닷가 마을까지 얼음조각을 흘려보내는 날이 오리라 한다 그때도 숲은 내 저문 육신과 그림자를 내치지않을 것을 믿는다 지난 봄과 여름 내가 굴참나무와 다람쥐와 아이들과 제비꽃을 얼마나 좋아하였는지, 그것들을 지키기위해 보낸 시간이 얼마나 험했는지 꽃과 나무들이 알고 있으므로 대지가 고요한 손을 들어 증거해줄 것이다

아직도 내게는 몇시간이 남아 있다

지금은 세시에서 다섯시사이

do-Robert-Rauschenberg-Untitled-ca-1959-Combine-tin-can-pocket-watch-and-chain-3-7-slash-8-x-2-1.jpg

ROBERT RAUSCHENBERG (American, 1925–2008), Untitled, 1959, Tin can, pocket watch, and chain, 3 1/4 × 2 1/2 × 3", Thomas H. Lee and Ann Tenenbaum. (Robert Rauschenberg: Among Friends, Through September 17, The Museum of Modern Art)

Between Three and Five o'clock

Do Jong-hwan

One leaf of a wild cherry tree is redder in hue than a red dragonfly. Now the cosmic season is passing through autumn and my human lifetime has reached a point between three and five in the afternoon. Between twelve and one o'clock my life was intense but the period since then has shown many signs of being moth-eaten.

Now I am moving ever further from the midpoint of time but I am grateful that there still remain several hours before darkness falls, and I rejoice at the mere thought that you will grant me once a brilliant sunset and twilight with the sun coloring the clouds before it sets.

Soon winter will be here. They say a day will come when the ice at the globe’s far north will melt and fragments of ice will be borne all the way to nearby seaside villages. Even then, I believe, the forest will not abandon my benighted body and shadow. Since the flowers and trees all know how much I enjoyed the oaks, squirrels, children, and violets last spring and summer, and what a hard time I had protecting them, the earth will raise a quiet hand in silent witness.

I still have a few hours left.

Now I am between three and five o'clock.

Translated by Brother Anthony/An Sonjae

*Published with permission from Brother Anthony.

도종환.jpg 도종환(1954∼ )
충청북도 청주에서 태어나 충북대 국어교육과와 동 대학원 졸업. 충북 옥천 청산고교 교사직으로 시작, 1984년 동인지 ‘분단시대’에 시를 발표하며 문단에 데뷔. '89년 전교조 활동으로 해직됐다가 '98년 충북 진천군 덕산중학교 교사로 복직. 제 8회 신동엽창작기금, 제 22회 정지용 문학상, 제 5회 윤동주상 문학부문 대상 수상, 제 1회 신석정 문학상 수상. 시집으로 ‘고두미 마을에서’ ‘접시꽃 당신’ ‘지금 비록 너희 곁을 떠나지만’과 산문집 ‘지금은 묻어둔 그리움’ '세시에서 다섯시 사이' 등이 있다. 2012년 대한민국 제19대 총선에서 민주통합당 비례대표로 국회의원에 당선됐다.

Born in 1954 in Chung-ju, Do Jong-hwan was a high school teacher before he became a poet. He made his literary debut with the publication of his poems in The Age of Division in 1984. He has authored many poetry collections, including In Godumi Village (Godumi Ma-eul-eseo, 1985), You, My Hollyhock (Jeobsikkor Dangsin, 1986), You Whom I love (Naega Saranghaneun Dangsin-eun, 1988), Who Are You (Dangsin-eun Nugusimnikka, 1993), A Flower Falls in the Village of People (Saram-ui Ma-eul-e Kkor-i Jinda, 1994), Soft Straght Line (Budeureoum Jikseon, 1998), The Root of Sorrow (Seulpeum-ui Ppuri. 2002), The Road to Haein (Haeineuro ganeun gil, 2006), etc.. He is a Democratic United Party member of the Korean National Assembly.
?