본문 바로가기

2012.06.03 06:36

ABOUT

조회 수 195514 댓글 0

sukie-IMG_0702 (2)200.jpg

Sukie Park: Founder/Writer 

A native Korean, Sukie Park studied journalism and film & theater in Seoul.  In March 2012, she founded www.NYCultureBeat.com, a Korean-language website about cultural events, food, wine, shopping, sightseeing, travel and people in New York City, for which she contributes original stories on a daily basis.  In 2013-2014, she has also contributed interviews and articles on Korean artist, actors, musicians and chefs  to "Inside Korea," a special section distributed with The New York Times' Friday edition. From June 2004 through December 2011, she was the principal journalist covering cultural affairs, food and travel for The Korea Daily in New York (Joongang Ilbo, 뉴욕중앙일보), the largest Korean-language newspaper in the New York metropolitan area.  Sukie previously worked as a reporter with several Korean pop, cinema, photography and video magazines, as a writer at Korean radio (KBS-2FM 영화음악실/ Film Music Salon) and television (MBC-TV 출발! 비디오여행/ Let's Start! Video Journey) stations, and as a copywriter at a video company (대우 비디오/ Dae Woo Video). She served as a jury member for The 1st Seoul Short Film Festival (1995) presented by Samsung Culture Foundation. She also covered the Tokyo International Film Festival (1989, 1991) and Hong Kong International Film Festival (1993) as a correspondent. As a New York correspondent she contributed stories for "Cine 21" and "Film 2.0", magazines published in Korea. She has edited two books, "The Movie That Changed My Life" (나를 움직인 이 한편의 영화, 1990), a collection of essays by Korean filmmakers, actors and writers, and "Drawing Helen Kim: The Master Who Changed Our Lives" (선생님 그리기: 우리를 움직인 스승 김활란, 1997), a collection of writings about the first President of Ewha Womans University. She is working on a book she is authoring "33 Keys to Decoding the Korean Wave, Hallyu! (한류를 이해하는 33가지 코드)". NYCultureBeat received the 2014 Cultural Merits Award from H&Y Marketplace. Sukie has lived in New York City since January of 1996. 

박숙희/ Sukie Park 

서울에서 태어나 이화여대 신문방송학과 졸업 후 한양대 대학원 연극영화과를 수료했다. 월간 영상, 포토뮤직, 비디오플라자, 시네마 등 잡지에서 기자로 일했으며, 주간 영화소식(영화진흥공사 발행)과 월간 스크린에 '세계의 영화감독' 시리즈를 연재했다. 대우비디오 카피라이터, KBS-2FM '영화음악실'(이규원, 채시라 진행)과 MBC-TV '출발! 비디오 여행'(홍은철, 정은임, 이일화 진행) 작가로 일했다. 영화인과 문인 33인이 기고한 수필집 '나를 움직인 이 한편의 영화'(1990, 정민사)를 편집했으며, 도쿄국제영화제 (1989, 1991), 홍콩국제영화제(1993) 취재, 제 1회 삼성단편영화제 영시네마 부문 심사위원(1995)을 지냈다. 1996년 뉴욕으로 이주한 후 Korean Press Agency와 뉴욕중앙일보 문화 & 레저 담당 기자를 거쳤다. 비디오 플라자, 시네 21, 필름 2.0의 뉴욕통신원으로 기고했으며, 이화여대 초대총장 김활란 박사를 회고하는 미국 내 제자들의 수필을 모은 '선생님 그리기: 우리를 움직인 스승 김활란'(1997)을 편집했다. 뉴욕타임스의 광고 섹션 'Inside Korea'(2013)에 한인 화가, 배우, 뮤지션, 큐레이터, 셰프, 패션디자이너 등의  인터뷰를 8회 기고했다. 2012년부터 뉴욕 문화정보 웹사이트 뉴욕컬처비트(NYCultureBeat.com)를 운영하고 있다. 2023년 6월 '한류를 이해하는 33가지 코드: 방탄소년단(BTS), '기생충' 그리고 '오징어 게임'을 넘어서'(지성사 간)가 출간됐다. 

delfini2-small.jpg  

Good Morning, New York!

1996년 1월 29일, 음산한 겨울날 아침 JFK 공항에 도착했을 때 계획은 ‘딱 1년간 영화 보며 놀기’였다. 

어느덧 뉴욕은 내게 영화 이외의 창문을 하나, 둘씩 열어주기 시작했다. 미술, 재즈, 오페라, 무용, 뮤지컬, 연극, 건축, 그리고 세계 음식까지 창이 열리면서 시네마(cinema)로 향해 한 우물만 파고 있던, 나에게 무지개색 빛들이 들어오고 있었다. 

맨해튼은 내게 보물섬이자, 매일 무언가를 가르쳐주는 거대한 학교다.  

2001년 9월 11일, 그날 이후 난 영화와 조금씩 결별하기 시작했다. 그리고, 문화의 다양한 장르를 탐험하면서 눈과 귀, 코와 입, 그리고 마음을 넓히기로 작정했다. 

뉴욕중앙일보에서 7년 7개월간 문화/레저 담당 기자로 일하며 ‘세계 문화의 메카’에서 많이 보고, 많이 듣고, 많이 느꼈다. 수많은 예술가들을 만나며, '영감'이라는 이름의 엔돌핀 주사도 무수히 맞았다. 

뉴욕이 고맙다. 

그동안 '빅 애플' 생활에서 얻은 정보를 보다 많은 이들과 공유하고 싶어서 웹사이트 NYCultureBeat을 시작하게 됐다. 

뉴욕, 뉴저지 등 미국의 한인 이민자, 유학생과 주재원 등 오래 뉴욕에 머물고 계신 분들, 그리고 뉴욕 문화에 관심이 많은 세계의 한인들과 유용한 정보를 나누고 싶다.   

NYCultureBeat은 1년 365일 나의 가슴을 두드리는 문화, 먹거리, 볼거리, 살거리와 사람들에 관한 이야기를 기록할 예정이다. (2012. 3.1) 

delfini2-small.jpg

Good Morning, New York!

My name is Sukie Park, the founder and editor of www.NYCultureBeat.com, a Korean-language website that provides information about New York's cultural events, food and travel. I was born in Korea and majored in journalism and film at Ehwa Women's University and Hanyang Graduate School in Seoul. After working in various media such as TV, radio, and magazines for 10 years, I came to New York in 1996. I worked as a cultural reporter at a news agency, Korean Press Agency, and at a daily newspaper, The Korea Daily of New York.  I now work full-time on writing and providing content on my NYCultureBeat website.

In my reporting, I discovered that the generation gap among Korean immigrants was large. The first generation of immigrants wanted to raise their children to become doctors, lawyers, professors or star violinists, working in a variety of occupations including delis, grocers, dry cleaners and nail salons. However, the Korean-American novelists, artists, actors, directors, and chefs whom I have met and interviewed have had to struggle to follow their dreams, and some gave up their dreams to meet the expectations of their parents. Some came back to pursue their dream and found a second life.

I think one reason for the generation gap is that the first generation of Korean immigrants, who were busy making a living, did not have opportunities to enjoy culture in New York, the world's number one cultural city, due to the language barrier and lack of information. That is one of the reasons that motivated me to form and continue to develop NYCultureBeat's cultural affairs reporting.

Since launching my Korean-language website NYCultureBeat in March 2012, I have provided high-quality cultural information which I personally write, covering museum exhibitions, films, classical music, jazz, opera, architecture, cultural history, food, wine and travel to Korean immigrants in New York and the United States, including highlighting cultural activities at an affordable price and free things to do.

I've also interviewed successful Korean-American artists and chefs, and have serialized the lives of women artists who have been marginalized from mainstream American media, as well as the lives of black and Third World artists. 

NYCultureBeat provides daily updates of vivid information that is happening in New York not only to the Korean community in the United States, but also to culture lovers in Korea and around the world. I am proud that NYCultureBeat is a unique website to record and share New York culture with Koreans all over the world.

-Sukie Park-

Thank You, New York!

bbg.jpg

Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 2013

What People are Saying about NYCultureBeat  

"NYCultureBeat is a website quenching Korean's thirst for culture in New York City and a lot of people are talking about it.  I think it plays a role like a little guiding light."

-Ik-Joong Kang, artist-

"I learn so much about NYC life in all cultural and entertainment spheres through NY Culture Beat. The articles show us how to live life abundantly, sometime just by reading about them. As a Korean diaspora, the stories about how Koreans flourish and contribute to mainstream culture make me proud of being a Korean. The Hallyu-33 stories presented unique and amazing angles of Korean culture like no others.

-Young Hae Kang, family counselor-

"NYCulture Beat is my best friend. It gives me source of happiness everyday. I am learning about culture and art from you. It's wonderful and amazing!"

-Elaine Kim-

"Finally I found it!

At last, we see a new website. Not a copy of other sources, but written from own experiences, not for the tourists, but well-done pages for New Yorkers!! So, quickly I added NYCultureBeat.com on my favorite bar and visit every day."

-Misun Chang, announcer of Radio Korea, NY-

"I visit NYCultureBeat every day and browse many sections.  Although I have lived in New York for long time, I still have many places I've never visited and many things I don't know. NYCultureBeat is my guide and I follow you to meet and taste the exquisite arts.  I'm fascinated by your sharp perspective and delicate senses." 

-Jeongki Kim, poet- 

“What a wonderful blog NYCultureBeat is! When it comes to New York City, NYCultureBeat tells everything.  I will give the address to all the people I know.” 

-Kenneth K. Lee, CPA- 

"Your blog is very well made and I'm sure it must be very successful. Thank you for doing a fine job with promoting cultural events to the Korean community and potential Korean visitors. I will try to promote your blog to my Korean friends."

-Yoon Jae Lee, Conductor & Artistic Director, Ensemble 212-

"Simply the best website about New York culture." 

-Miya-

"Really the selective essence of the information about The City of Art, New York. I'll come by day by day. Thank you for the wonderful articles!"

-Sodam00- 

"I have been waiting for a website like this for so long. Thank you so much for managing the website with such wonderful stories with high quality information." 

-Susie- 

"Thanks to your detailed good information., I'm enjoying New York better than before this whole summer. I love New York City and now see more of its beauty than before.  I appreciate you." 

-Uram Park, student- 

"The best Korean language site I have encountered.  I enjoy reading about Korean-American artists and culinary stars and interviews you have covered.  I would have never known so many interesting stories if it weren't  for NYCultureBeat.  Wish I could share the site with my friends who can't read Korean as well." 

-Artist Anonymous- 

v5.jpg

Domino Park, Brooklyn, 2018

2022 NYCultureBeat Monthly Visitors 

NYCB-2022-monthly-visitors-800.jpg

2021 NYCultureBeat Monthly Visitors 

NYCB-visitors-2021.12.31-En.jpg

v1-2.jpg

Staten Island Ferry, 2018

NYCB-POSTER-small2.jpg

© NYCultureBeat.com | Big Apple, Small Bites: Across the City

All rights reserved. Any stories of this site may be used for your personal, non-commercial use. You agree not to modify, reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, publish, broadcast or circulate any material without the written permission of NYCultureBeat.com.